Mooers, Clinton County, New York
DIRECTIONS: Near the "Stowe Bridge" on the River Road runing east from the Village of Mooers. In the field on the south-east side of the bridge. Evidences that this had been a larger cemetery were found, but no legible remains except this one stone.
- This cemetery was transcribed by Hugh & Woody McLellan on May 28, 1939.
- These records are part of what is known as the McLellan Cemetery Records. Beginning in 1933, Hugh McLellan, his son, Charles Woodbury “Woody” McLellan, and his daughter-in-law, Hulda (Bredenburg) McLellan traveled to various cemeteries throughout Clinton County copying the inscriptions from cemetery stones. Upon his death, these records were to have been donated to Cornell University. However, Dr. Allan Everest of SUNY Plattsburgh convinced the McLellan family to keep the records locally, and they were eventually donated to SUNY Plattsburgh. Complete sets of these records are also available at the Plattsburgh Public Library, the Clinton County Historian's office in Plattsburgh, and the Northern New York American-Canadian Genealogical Society in Keeseville, New York. Each Town Historian has a copy of their segment as well.
- Jeremiah STOWE was tarred and feathered and douced of the bridge, as a Copperhead. His son was Abijah, who had three children; John N. (died in New Jersey), Willard, and Ida (died 1891, not married).
Jeremiah STOWE, / Died / July 18, 1870, / AE. 83 Ys. 6 Ms. & 18 ds. /
Source: McLellan Cemetery Records
This page maintained by Joyce M. Ranieri