Broadwell Cemetery (SC-3)
Schuyler Falls, Clinton County, New York
DIRECTIONS: This family cemetery is on the west side of Mason Street just north of where the Broadwell Road meets Mason Street.
- The first burial was in 1839 and the last burial was in 1871.
- This cemetery is overgrown and half the stones have fallen. There are several unmarked stones. The yard was partly surrounded by cedars; with posts of an old fence at corners.
- This cemetery was copied June 2, 1946 by H. McLellan, C. W. McLellan, and Hulda Bredenberg.
- These records are part of what is known as the McLellan Cemetery Records. Beginning in 1933, Hugh McLellan, his son, Charles Woodbury “Woody” McLellan, and his daughter-in-law, Hulda (Bredenburg) McLellan traveled to various cemeteries throughout Clinton County copying the inscriptions from cemetery stones. Upon his death, these records were to have been donated to Cornell University. However, Dr. Allan Everest of SUNY Plattsburgh convinced the McLellan family to keep the records locally, and they were eventually donated to SUNY Plattsburgh. Complete sets of these records are also available at the Plattsburgh Public Library, the Clinton County Historian's office in Plattsburgh, and the Northern New York American-Canadian Genealogical Society in Keeseville, New York. Each Town Historian has a copy of their segment as well.
- It was transcribed from the above record by Marvin M. Connor on January 15, 2002. McLellan used a / to represent a line break. That formatting has been partially retained in this transcription.
David BROADWELL / Died Jan 6, 1871 / Age 75 Yrs
Description: Marble stone, fallen.
Copier's note: He was born in Morristown, N.J., July 18, 1795, and married Susan PARROT---p.374, Hurd, Hist Clinton & Franklin Counties).
Stephen / Son of David & Susan BROADWELL. / Died Oct 6, 1857 / Age 29 Yrs
Description: Marble stone. Footstone.
Description: Marble stone.
Elizabeth CARROLL / Wife of David BROADWELL. / Died Dec 24, 1839 / Age 74 Yrs
Copier note: She was the mother of David2 Broadwell listed herein.
Transcriber note: (3rd wife) is penned in over the above note.
Issabell I. / Daughter of Winthrop & Bula ROBINSON and wife of David KENISON. / Died Jan 30, 1843 / Age 57 yrs
Cast thy bread upon the
waters, for thou shalt find it
after many days. Eccl. 11.1.
Description: Old marble stone.
Wm. PARROT / Died Jul 19, 1856 / Age 62 yr
Description: Marble stone, fallen and broken off.
Copier note: (Brother of Susan Parrot, Wife of David2)
Julia Ann / Wife of C. V. SPALDING. / Died Aug 2, 1855 / Age 23 Yrs / 2 mos
Now I see my Saviour coming,
Quickly to his arms I fly,
On his bosom my head reclining
while the storm is passing by.
Description: Marble stone, fallen. Footstone.
Source: McLellan Cemetery Records
This page maintained by Joyce M. Ranieri